Posted By Eric Ethington (Author) on October 2, 2011
Beautiful email I received late last night. What is it that makes half of Utahns want to be Republicans? Well let’s list all the wonderful things they’ve done for this country in the past few years shall we?
Published with permission:
I guess you are proud of the last Republican administration,
- the one that had both houses of Congress, and the White House?
- The one that was in charge for 9/11?
- That started two unfunded wars?
- The one that couldn’t find any WMD’s?
- That gave us Medicare Part D, but was unfunded?
- And for icing on the cake, gave a nice tax reduction to our wealthiest citizens (you know, the “job creators”).
- That group of conservative Republicans? That group that went to Congress and demanded that TARP be inacted?
- Bailing out Wall Street, while they gave themselves big bonuses?
- That was George Bush and his Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson.
- Let me guess you voted for Bush. Not once, but twice. Let me also guess that you are just as sure now as you were in 2000, and 2004 that the Republicans were on the right track? Those tax reductions started in 2002. Where are all those jobs?
The current crowd must make you proud, too.
- Applauding the execution of 234 Texans?
- Shouting “Let him die”?
- Booing a soldier bravely serving in Iraq?
- The same conservatives who claim that the government doesn’t create jobs, then complains that our President hasn’t created enough jobs? Then brags about how many jobs they have each created (in reality jobs stolen from other states or by increasing their own state government employees).
- Complaining about welfare, but are themselves beneficiaries of farm subsidies, and federal funding for their spouses businesses?
- You must be really proud of this current crop of 9 candidates. This is such a good crop, that senior party leaders are begging Chris Christie to run?
- Personally, I think I’d be ashamed to claim any of the current crop of Republicans. They are all open to ridicule. I watch the GOP debates just like I watch any other comedy, except that these are real. Maybe you’ll sleep well thinking that Bachmann or Cain, or Perry could be our next President. Me? I get nightmares at the thought.
- As for liberal Democrats, well if your parents enjoyed a better retirement, thank a liberal for Social Security.
- If they didn’t have to pay exorbitant healthcare costs in their old age, thank a liberal for Medicare.
- If you, or members of your family, were educated in a public school or state college, thank a liberal.
- If you enjoy health insurance from your employer, you can probably thank a Union. After WW2, unions, through collective bargaining were bringing pension and healthcare benefits to the working class, that were heretofore reserved for management only. IBM, and other large corporations, saw the handwriting on the wall in the early 50′s and started offering these benefits to their non- management employees in order to circumvent unionization. That’s why our country is one of the few in the world today that has employer provided healthcare.
- Again, thank a union for that.
- Speaking purely for myself, my life, and the lives of my family members, are better today because of liberals and unions.
- Republicans are trying to gut these programs. Who will you thank, when at 70 years of age, you can’t afford health insurance, and Medicare was destroyed by the Republicans back in 2013? Will you be comforted knowing that the 400 wealthiest families will then be enjoying even greater wealth? I hope so, cause that’s where we are heading if the Republicans gain control again.